Open Meridian Project Forums

• July 23, 2017, 07:43:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Room Editor info  (Read 3120 times)

Daenks

• Lord Master of the Universe
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Open Meridian Home
Room Editor info
« on: June 04, 2014, 09:37:14 PM »

From the README:

Code: [Select]
Meridian 59 build instructions
------------------------------

Building requires Borland C++ 4.5.

Loading wall textures requires zlib.  To convert the Microsoft Visual C++
import library to Borland (OMF) format, run

coff2omf.exe ..\lib\zdll.lib ..\lib\zdll_omf.lib

coff2omf is available in the free Borland C++ 5.5 distribution.

As far as we know, no one is able to link the room editor. I have recently acquired Borland 4.5 and 5.5 as required and set up a 32 bit VM to attempt to compile and link.

I have spoken with Sha'Krune about integrating his project's RooFile C# library with one of the many open source BSP (doom, hexen, etc.) map editors. I think we can make it work, with some effort. We would then be able to craft all sorts of magnificent features for meridian.

Example Map editor: http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/documentation.html
NOTE: It may or not be possible for us to utilize one of these modern editors, but I intend to try.
Open Meridian Administrator

ShaKrune

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Room Editor info
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »

As far as we know, no one is able to link the room editor. I have recently acquired Borland 4.5 and 5.5 as required and set up a 32 bit VM to attempt to compile and link.

The old roomeditor builds AND links fine, it's just buggy and horribly outdated...
The quote you quoted from Zaphod's doc above actually mentions the FIX (which was applied to make it link again again)

The binary, OMF converted "zdll_omf.lib" and the corresponding "zlib1.dll" were part of this "zlib change" commit:
https://github.com/Meridian59/Meridian59/commit/dc90acf420a41d6548e55506e808d535343558f5

Anyways: I agree we need a better roomeditor tool...

Daenks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Open Meridian Home
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »

I was able to get rooedit to both compile and link just this morning. I will be adding this VM to our buildserver, and a second workflow to produce a downloadable version. That way people can at least compile changes without having to spend the many hours I had to tinker in order to get it to work. I will also try and re-create the steps on the wiki at some point.

ShaKrune

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 11:02:24 AM »

I've had a look at "Doombuilder", it's written in C# and it seems great.
I inspected some of the code and it should be possible to adjust it for Meridian 59 ROO-format and textures.

Adjusting something written for Doom still seems to be the best approach IMO, because especially things like texture-handling has changed enormously in newer BSP-based games like Q3...

Daenks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Open Meridian Home
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 02:21:20 PM »

Sure, Doombuilder would work just fine. I suggested GTKRadiant mostly because it has an active developer community, and is essentially the official ID Software tools chain. This really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Whichever path is the one of least resistance and most benefits is the one we should take.

Delerium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 06:44:30 AM »

What do you guys think about this one? http://slade.mancubus.net/

It has a Github repository at https://github.com/sirjuddington/SLADE

Daenks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Open Meridian Home
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 08:48:49 AM »

I spoke (via LinkedIn) to the programmer behind DoomBuilder.

I can help you in the right direction via email if you have any questions regarding the Doom Builder code.

If the features of a "roo" map are no more than the features of a Doom map AND the container format "wad" is the same, then you really only have to write a new MapSetIO implementation (see the IO namespace) which controls how a map is read/written to/from the internal structures and what the limitations of the map format are. This is easily extensible, because the editor already supports different map formats. The correct implementation is instantiated automatically as configured in the game configuration file.

If the container format is also different, you also have to write a replacement for the WAD class and implement it. There is some work required for this and you will probably need to change a lot in the MapManager class which deals with WAD files (opening, saving, copying data from one to another, but also manages a temporary WAD file while the map is being edited)

If there are new features required, then there is a whole lot more to do... such as writing new editing modes.

I hope this helps you in the right direction to begin with.

Kind regards,
(edited to remove personal information)

Daenks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Open Meridian Home
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »

Tags: tools info