Open Meridian Project Forums

• January 18, 2018, 03:34:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: PR questions open for discussion  (Read 1593 times)

sampsonette

• View Profile
PR questions open for discussion
« on: May 29, 2015, 01:27:58 AM »

I'll be posting questions that I don't know how to answer. After I have a few answers I'll combine the thoughts to make a cohesive answer and post at the end the final statement. Here's the first question (previously discussed in IRC, but I said I would post it here so that everyone else can give feedback)

Vincent Schrijen
: with that much effort....any consideration to just....create a sequel? Because I've been part of other MMORPG's that kept updating graphics and adding elements themselves. But there is only so far you can take it. I've always wondered where it might end for die-hard fans.

Shabadoo

• View Profile
Re: PR questions open for discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:36:19 AM »

IMO, Meridian would do better just expanding upon what everyone already knows. It will allow old players to return to the familiar and new players to experience the old. New territory and any other new features can add to the possibilities of the game without forgetting the nostalgia of the rest of the game.

Besides that, Meridian is, in a relative sense, a very small world. I think anyone who has played Meridian regularly over the last 18 years knows that so much of it's potential was never really achieved. I think that is why the open source concept for Meridian is so great. The fans of this game can finally bring out the hidden potential and possibilities of the game. Balancing out its clunky mechanics while adding depth and new experiences which keep players coming back.

Also, unlike a sequel, updates can be added gradually to the game. This allows both the players and the development team to actual enjoy the game rather than just working on it for years and releasing it all in one go. Open source game development is not Tantric sex. It is enjoyed more, i think, in bits and pieces as the process unfolds and not in one big load, with rushed bug fixes and a stressful and potentially unsuccessful release.

On top of all of that, before any sequel could ever be considered the development team needs considerable experience developing the current game. Remember, these guys are just fans of the game who became its developers. They have only been spending their spare time on it for a little over a year. Maybe after a new territory or 2 is released they, as a team, could consider a sequel (Meridian 60? Meridian 59 - Another Shard?).   

A Thousand Thanks to the Development Team!

Daenks

• Lord Master of the Universe
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Open Meridian Home
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »

Creating a Sequel, or even a Spiritual Successor has been on my mind since the early 2000's. I have even started working on some from time to time.

Something about the current iteration of Meridian 59 always pulls me back, though. We have learned the code enough, and improved the infrastructure enough, that we've made nearly anything possible in the current iteration of the game. I think that this alone warrants that we spend more time and effort utilizing the potential that preexisted and that we created to its fullest extent.

There will be a point where the flexibility of blakserv (the meridian server software) can no longer support what we'd like to do, and at that point, perhaps this team could move into the creation of a Sequel. That time is far off. For the first time there is a team of developers and fans that are actually giving the game the TLC it has needed since the mid-90s.

The .NET/Ogre client opens up a whole new realm of possibilities, and if Meridian is to move forward, standardizing on the new client is probably our biggest hurdle. I, and many others, literally love the old client (even though it truly sucks). Getting past it is going to be tough.
Open Meridian Administrator

Gar

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »

In the realm of persistent online worlds - at least among English-language games - sequels just don't happen. The original game can grow, change, and adapt as time goes on. Experiments like Asheron's Call 2 were eventually outlived by their predecessors. The best thing a game can do for long-term success is to go Open Source. The fans will ensure the game never dies, and never ends.
Tags: sequel finish end