Open Meridian Project Forums

• January 18, 2018, 03:31:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Wanderers  (Read 1461 times)

Eolith Mandrake

• View Profile
The Wanderers
« on: July 29, 2015, 08:03:48 PM »

Has anyone else ever wondered about the wandering NPCs? Is there more lore revolving around them? Who are they? Where do they come from? I would love to establish more about them. I speak of course of Miriana, Maleval, Parrin, Tendrath, and Izzio. I suppose I don't have a fanfic ready or anything, but I would love to get the ball rolling on lore discussion on where these NPCs fit in with what is going on in Meridian. For the sake of getting more creative juices flowing, consider some of the following:

Izzio--Aside from traveling merchant paths, he has been seen at Shal'ille temple. Why? Also, what possessed him to become Meridian's only travelling merchant? Pure profit?  Maybe he has a sad story or two?

Maleval--Truly a man of mystery. Where did such a powerful warlock come from? He could not possibly be an innocent man, but he's allowed to wander the cities, even fraternize with royalty, as if a welcomed noble. Considered an "outcast of the Royal Court" yet he hangs around Blackstone Keep as if he owns the place, poisoning the young Duke with blasphemous and outlandish talk. Claims to denounce the gods and their temples, but he is rumored to frequent the Temple of Qor. Think of the two people outside the matters of the Court that Maleval frequents: Frisconar and Ran'er Hoth. Frisconar is described as sickly looking, with labored breathing. He constantly believes he has some made up disease. Not to mention he is balding at just turning 30. Considering Frisconar knows Hospice, I'd say there's more beneath the surface with him and Maleval. I bet Maleval is experimenting, perhaps even siphoning energy from Frisconar, affecting the man's very well-being. Ran'er Hoth may be old and considered senile, but his ravings don't appear as mad as they may seem. A wise loremaster like him would probably be on the Council. Maybe Maleval has something to do with that. Coincidence that both men he hangs around know Shal'ille magic? While he dances with the Qor priestess?

Miriana--she's called a heretic and blasphemous, but why exactly? What did she do? What does she say? Why does she always dance? I think that, like Maleval, she is a subverter of magic. Her variety of spells is in some ways blasphemous (she knows both a Qor and Shal'ille spell) and seem unnatural. If you think about her array of spells, between walls, Ring of Flames, Silence, Martyr's Battleground, and Bond, there seems to be a "please don't kill me" or "stay away" theme; it is very much like a scared little girl with way more power than any mage should have at her assumed age. Maybe she's Maleval's daughter? That could be traumatic enough...

Parrin--I just really want there to be more to this guy than what little is on the surface. After all, for a good while, he was all we knew of Jala and the power of her songs, even though he personally is terrible at singing. Maybe he's just comic relief and the butt of every joke about minstrels. You should never trust bards, though. Especially not one that sits with the Duke, Princess, AND Jonas. He probably knows more than he should. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in the previous Duke's death!

Tendrath--Bits and pieces point to a son of his that met a tragic end? He has some ties to hating Necromancers, right? Did he serve under Far'Nohl? A little odd that a man who sells Faren spells also sells a way to deny many of them.

renratpiz

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: The Wanderers
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 09:25:41 PM »

Fear not.  I'm currently working on stories for ALL the NPC's, these guys included.  They will be explored thoroughly enough.  I promise you.  ;-)

renratpiz

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:28:59 PM »

My first installment in the series was actually all about Frisconar.  He really is just a hypochondriac.  You're right about Maleval in one way, though...his intentions are probably not good.

Evil_Sibhod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 02:36:28 AM »

Really enjoyed the reading you posted already renratpiz. The one thing I was looking for in Frisconar's story was his previous love interest of Madelia (Seamstress in Cess castle).

You can gain a lot of insight into the way design was headed by reading these .tab files (reaction messages to keywords by NPCs):
https://github.com/Daenks/Meridian59_103/tree/master/dlg

Also reading through the files in this directory:
https://github.com/Daenks/Meridian59_103/tree/master/design

To summarize aspects (eh take this with a grain of salt currently because I'm up at 3am at work and a little tired hehe) Venya'Cyr was the sister of the King of Brax - she touched the Gold Urn (in game object) which housed the spirit of The Ancient One and became evil. She killed her brother and took over - They had a cousin who fled brax when she started raising an army. (The citizens of brax were all gifted in magic that essentially varied between; and was passed along bloodlines) when she became the lich she had a premonition that tendrath would kill her so she sent necromancers to kill him first. They mistook his son for Tendrath and killed him.

Then the legend of The Ancient One continues in other parts that describe it as being the most evil power but was split into 3. The Spinner, The Weaver, and The Cutter. These three are Miriana (always twirling and spinning in the woods), Hester Gilk (the weaver of fine tapestries), and The Lich who cuts the threads of life. We've had the lich story added in via Ao3s and soths, the next part was to be miriana and the xeo attacks. She summons xeos to attack the mana nodes for reasons unknown and the end result was to be the complete destruction of Cor Noth which would result in more wandering NPCs and some ghosts.

Going back to the citizens of Brax, Venya'Cyrs cousin was named Zarrus who is an ancestor of Zarcos V (the King and father of Kateriina - as of the current in-game time frame he is about 70 or 80 years old (almost 2x the average lifespan)

renratpiz

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 01:22:32 AM »

I'm glad you enjoyed it so far.  Actually, I have a whole story planned out for Madelia, which includes her subplot with Frisconar...as well as others.  It's in the works along with stories for Widow Qesino, Jonas D'accor, Fehr'loi Qan, Priestess Qerti'nya, Herbutte, and Cylill.  That's the first wave, anyway.  The rest are at the "notes" stage, but coming along.

I'll look through the stuff in the links you posted.  I'll probably get some good info out of them for future use.  I'm really looking forward to doing something with the Three.  That will prove quite interesting, I think.