Open Meridian Project Forums

• January 16, 2018, 03:27:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should someone host a new God Built Server?

Yes, I would play.
- 3 (33.3%)
Yes, I would play and contribute.
- 1 (11.1%)
No, I would not play.
- 5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: God Built Server  (Read 3438 times)

Glanton

• View Profile
God Built Server
« on: August 28, 2015, 12:25:56 PM »

I often hear that there would be no risk on a godbuilt server.  Or that it wouldn't be worth playing because you would have everything at creation.  Or that it would be like a Frenzy.  These assumptions aren't true, and I'll tell you why!

Nearly all of the changes necessary to create a successful God Built Server would take next to zero coding.  I was asked to make a post about this, so here goes.  IMHO This is all that is necessary:

A Godbuilt Server:

• A dialog at character creation where you choose all stats and skills/spell schools.
  • Start characters without nodes, without items. -They have to acquire them (risk)
  • Skill gain is drastically faster than it is currently (think 5 improves on a troll) - The building aspect is there, just not in a way that wastes your time.  Increased reagent drops on certain mobs.  (think 5 bds,5 daf, 10 purple mushroom from a single troll drop.  So a little farming necessary, but casting is more liberal.  Also if you don't go do that quick skill gain after a pen or death, you allow your enemies that slight advantage.)
  • Character death causes death penalties and drops all loot*.
  • Logoff Ghost poofs cause penalties and drops some random loot.
  • Change drops so that you have to get specific weapons from specific mobs or quests. (like the Yeti)  Or make trolls drop one shilling, and make the price of a bow 20 shillings  a neru bow 30 shillings.  (dont get crazy now.)
  • Make reagents weigh much less so you can prepare for a fight without having to balance your loot so tediously.  Overloading means more loot.  If you die or pen you're going to drop it anyway, and killing people should be the best way of farming stuff.
  • If there's anything people will fight over, its wearables.  Create rare colored item drops - Like Blue MSH in avar shaman land node.  Matching colored blue platemail in the spiders den, or something.  Masks, and colored cloth drops around the world as well, where if you turn in a number of identically colored cloths to say, the tailor on the island, you get a wearable item in that color.  So people have an incentive to put forth effort to look good.  Also consider hair dye/skin dye.  Make some of the masks/clothing really hard to get.  *The clothing could be Soft White Lighted so people don't have to worry about someone making off with all their style in one kill: that Soft White Light would come at a price too: Some heartstones from an event or something (imagine the PVP).  If you got your fancy cloth and didn't get it SWL'ed, you drop it.  Loss. Victory.  Real shit.
  • A universal Vault system connected to all the inns- Tell paddock vault and drop in the loot you got from killing that noob in the streets of Tos, get chased to Marion and run inside to stock up from the same vault and get back out and fight on.  The days of running through 30-50 screens to get dark angel feathers and BDS need to be over.  That tediousness undermines the PVP by giving people a reason to make excuses and not fight - also, it just really fucking sucks.  There need to be slim to no reasons for someone not to fight at any given time, so you can call a coward a coward as you would a spade a spade.  This is a form of victory.
  • Leave Ghosts/pens wherever you want to put them.  On a God Built server it doesn't matter, because anyone can buy another character and save the char those Russian PKs logged at main gate - provided they have a mule with all the shit in the inn ready to stock their new character, and theyre really fast at making a character.  Fun stuff.  I would have characters that logoff for more than a couple minutes have a blind when they return, unless they poof.
  • Guilds/Halos, PK/Hunters stay the same.
  • Shatterlock, SWL, etc. focus time should be reduced and rewards given one time for owning multiple Guild Halls for long periods of time.  Lots of battle there.
  • Factions give bonuses the same way they do regularly.  Tokens spawn once every hour.  If you want to rule the server for a time, great...you can do that.  But not in a way that disrupts the balance for a day, or whatever.
  • Add customizable Guild TAGS like <INFINITY> or <INF> to people's names so Mike doesn't have to read people's bios.
  • Add some portals out in the wilderness that would take you to other areas in the wilderness.
  • Allow healing wands to be bound to hotkeys (officially).  If that seems OP, add a focus time to them.
  • Sunglasses.

Realize that all of these changes require next to zero time coding.  You really can have a great and successful server up and running in a week, you just have to want it.  Then put this server on Steam and the game will explode.  Mark my words.

Think about the positives:  With an influx of new, PVP ready players, you will have the opportunity to recruit and train noobs into mean MFers to vanquish each other in an entirely new way.  New styles, strategies would have to be adopted to do battle with increasingly large groups/guilds of players.  More people means more involvement in the game, better suggestions, more opportunities for Zaphod to get paid somehow.  More people means more opportunities to do devious stuff to people.  It also means more likelihood that others will help the development process and team up with the OMP, pushing that agenda forward.  More players in 101, 102, 103.  Many other pluses.

Aerasol

• View Profile
Re: God Built Server
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »

Damn, somebody really went the extra mile with a 17-point plan on how to make an FPS. Woody Wilson only had 14 points in his plan for world peace. Since the source is out now, the best way to accomplish this would be to just combine the server and client together so you can connect to games and bust a quicky like every other FPS. Then have a gateway server to keep your character persistent and manage ladder games, the master server list, etc. It's totally doable, and all those that for whatever reason enjoy playing this game without the R in MMORPG would totally have a fun time, I'm sure.

Unfortunately the 103 charter strictly forbids such things, but do keep us posted on your progress. It would definitely eliminate the will to run frenzies anymore.

Glanton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 02:43:11 PM »

If this isn't rpg enough for you don't worry, Lady Aftyn wants you to come over and she might even let you play pitcher this time.

Shabadoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:45:25 PM »

I like the idea of a "God" server. I have never heard that term but in my mind this would be something that would go great with the "Seasons" system that Diablo has. Where every couple months the server is wiped. I had thought about setting up something similar and calling it something like Meridian59: Arena. Where basically it is all about the PvP and everyone starts out with a pre built character.

As I see it there are 2 distinct and very different camps in the Meridian community. Those that like the intensity of PvP and probably play LoL or other games which require intense play. And those (like myself) who enjoy the overall experience of the game as a relatively slow paced social game that is enjoyable for the ease of play and enjoyment of the game world and social community. When combined these 2 groups create a vibrant and high drama community that is very compelling, but which also causes intense emotional responses and tends to bring people to emotional highs and then, after some inevitable tragedy or perceived slight, brings them to emotional lows which causes them to leave the community (usually only until they chill out a bit...and suicide their characters in an emotional rage).

The reason I am ranting (besides the 6 shots of whiskey) is that I think something like this (which I think of as a companion or compliment to the core game) could bring a new aspect to the game / community. A place where people can practice and refine their PvP without risk and practice in each of the of the schools, or perhaps to settle arguments between enraged nerds.

Anyway, rant over...that calls for a shot!

Aerasol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 10:22:42 PM »

At least it sounds like Lady Aftyn is down to role play. And I most certainly know she is not scared of commitment... I mean she has remained just as playful for several decades now and has even kept the same job without any kind of retirement or pension plan. And I am ashamed to say that having been working on this game through it all... I have made her do things... But anyway, she deserves some position changes at least, so she can load up the bases and swing away all she wants.

I am in earnest not arguing and don't want any drama. I'd like to open it up to everyone else, as well, and get some more opinions before arbitrary condemnation. Has anyone else every been able to warm a girl up in less than the amount of time it takes to PK? That's as fundamental as we can get here. If you think that foreplay requires oil, this community is simply not a good fit.

Those of us that have stuck with it for so long are not in denial of the fact that this game is old and is situated in a rather small niche of the overarching gamer community. But still remains the fact that's what this game is and the community that loves it for it comes to it. I have decades of games saved on countless hard drives and disks strewn about to no end, but this is the only game I still play and I don't want it ending up in my knickknack box with the rest of them. On the flip side, if I ever want to play WoW or CoD or whatever, that's what those games are there for.

I agree with Shabadoo's points and think the most viable option would be to port the game to a new engine for that new camp of players. Just off the top of my head, Mangos and Trinity Core are super easy to work with and we could probably have it done in a few months. There is already a community there managing everything we would ever need to dev it. If we didn't change the engine, the only comparable modern game with any success that players are willing to overlook obvious shortfalls for the gameplay is Minecraft. As great as Daenks and Delerium are, I don't think they are any match for a team like the devs of Minecraft unless we get a lot more organized and a lot more support from the community. Otherwise, I am not going to get pissed about them not doing more by themselves without getting paid.

I think there is an aspect to this of everyone just asking too much of a small core group of competent devs. Unless we are talking Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, two guys by themselves with day jobs and bills to pay are not going to be able to do all that, no matter how simple you think it may be. They have already taken a stance on what camp they are in and there is no place for us to sway them. After all, we came to them to join their community, not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the energy you guys bring to the community and I think if you rally up you could definitely pull it off. God servers are not a novelty and have come and gone plenty of times throughout the decades. I am sorry that you have not been on one before and I totally agree that you should all have a chance to experience it. However, there is a reason there are none up right now and it is not because we don't have the ability to make one. Glanton used words like "assumptions" and Shabadoo was honest and said point-blank he has never heard of it before. The rest of us have heard of it before, played on them before, and don't need to assume anything, we are just trying to help you with our experience.

Glanton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 11:38:11 PM »

First and foremost, Aerasol I was just ribbing you bud.  I understand your position on RP, and I respect it.  In all honesty I don't think there's anything wrong with your point of view.  Its just a matter of preference.  I too have played on the the God built servers, and pirate servers, and I was here the week the game came out.  I was also playing in beta.  There were trolls in the flatlands.  You feel me? 

I understand the draw of RP, and the satisfaction that some people get from spending insane amounts of time building.  I too have undergone the perspective changes that take place when you have such a great deal invested in something like that.  I get it man.  Its beautiful in a way, even to me.  But there's a fine line between tedious bullshit, and legitimate quests.  I think that through the years, this line has been blurred.   On the contrary, I think its important to have quests, and rewards for those quests.  (The nature of the rewards would simply change.)  But.  PVP needs to be more of a focus in general.  Maybe a PVP oriented version of M59 would appeal to FPS players, definitely, but I want to be clear that I am not advocating an FPS version of M59.  I think it is terribly important to maintain the current archaic user interface, sprites and all.  Part of the beauty of the PVP in this game to me is the 'boiled down' nature of it.  You have to pay attention to everything that happens on the screen already.  Its fantastic.  Wouldn't change much a thing about it.

Anyone in this community, no matter how hardened in their resolve, will agree that this town needs an enema.  This is part of the reason there are already so many brilliant ideas coming down the pipeline.  I have discussed my proposed changes with pretty much everyone, and you might not know that it was actually requested of me to make this post by some of the 103 devs.(which I appreciate dearly in any case.)

My aim has not been to radically change your focus here at 103.  I wouldn't propose these things if I didn't honestly feel like they would benefit everyone.  I have required of myself not to propose anything that wouldn't have immediate practicality.  I have discussed many of the proposed changes with the devs and they are all 'immediate fixes'.  The only thing that would take some work is planning quests, and the vault system (update: Gar has already submitted a version of the vault system that looks pretty good although I do have some suggestions for it).  I probably have made some assumptions, but that's okay I'm sure.

The possible benefits of making these minimal changes in a dedicated server are far reaching.  More players would come.  Believe that.  Believe it.  And imagine what you could do with a larger community.  This is the first MMORPG.  There are a lot of people that would love to contribute.

Shabadoo- I couldn't agree more with everything you said.  I'm going to the bar now.

Aerasol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 12:56:15 AM »

I got you, Glanton. I just like to spur people to make sure they know what they are talking about :P And I apologize for the following being capped, but I feel it to be a necessary attention grabber as I think the majority of the people reading this thread are missing its point.

**IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND AGREE THAT THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA, REPLY!!!**

There are those of us that could make this happen fairly quickly, but I am not going to waste my time if only 2 people are interested. Also, if you would like to offer resources to this new branch, be it a server, old junker laptop, your coding ability and time, etc., post those here, also.

P.S.: If a mod would be so kind as to make a poll for this, I am sure that would be better for those too shy to feel the pressure of having to type a response here and feel more comfortable clicking a radio button or some such.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:29:11 AM by Aerasol »

Daenks

• Lord Master of the Universe
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Open Meridian Home
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 08:09:37 AM »

poll added
Open Meridian Administrator

keen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 11:21:21 PM »

We are discussing possibly adding this as an option that server admins can use, but there should be a large amount of interest before we commit the resources to do so.  103 will remain a normal server of course, but if someone wanted to pay for and launch another server there is a possibility we could add it as an option available to the server owner.

Aerasol

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 12:01:12 AM »

I was thinking along that vein, as well. Continue to contribute to the 103 project and just make a new soft-core player class with modifiers to allow them to build faster and whatever else. If it is constructed around a new player class instead of an entirely new mode, it would enable them to run alongside normal players on, say, the beta server. The players already have the option of whether or not to play on the beta server at all, giving them the option to be soft-core players shouldn't really matter, either. It would just boost the usage of the beta server itself and, if anything, give us an increased test base.

Since the nature of soft-core players are not nearly as invested in the game as normal players, it should blend fine with the spirit of the beta server. Being that if a test screws everything up or whatever else, it does less damage to soft-core players because even if they lose everything they can just spend 10 minutes getting it back to where they were. Also, for those unfamiliar with the principles of beta testing, focusing around a new player class would separate soft-core players from legitimate testing that needs to get done, that otherwise can't be done if the server is stuck in some kind of soft-core mode and affecting the entire game system.

*Cough Cough*... Oops, by soft-core players I mean god built players or whatever... that's what I meant.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:04:51 AM by Aerasol »

Glanton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 03:13:19 AM »

Quests would reward successful players with new clothing items/accessories mostly.  Those would then be bought and sold.  There would be options for the PVE quests so all players could acquire and wear the nice clothing and gear.  Some of the PVE quests might reward the most sought after clothing.  You could also have seasonal one-time offerings, to give the items special value to collectors.  If someone won a PVP tournament, for example, maybe they would be given a sweet one of a kind mask that they could then sell for regs and weapons money or trade for other clothing items.  I'm thinking something like so:
  ENDGAME

MY point is, there is no limit to the RP that you could put into a God Built Server.  The difference is simply the focus of the playerbase.  There's plenty of world out there to fill with new features and quests.  I expect to see a few downvotes for this idea, but do not underestimate the retroPVP playerbase.  Also take into account the fact that most anyone who has remained here over the years is probably operating under a bit of a bias.  There will be many players if this goes public, especially if it goes on Steam.  But you have to expose the FUN part of the game to new players!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:25:09 AM by Glanton »

Aerasol

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 03:57:20 AM »

Is it just me or does that kind of read like "anyone who has remained here over the years is probably operating under a bit of a bias," and then all the things stated make it sound like we are bias towards no PVP and the unfun parts of the game :P I am sure a number of us that enjoy playing this game, maybe not the devs after seeing the code in their sleep, do appreciate the fun parts too and are not just all about using it to play chess or getting into a card tourny with the Barloque barkeep... Although if you could buy an in-game Monopoly board, admittedly my attention on everything else would be a struggle.

Firekat

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 03:51:50 PM »

I think a fast exp/imp server with some out of the norm stuff would be interesting :P.

Firekat

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »

Altho I don't think people should just start out with all skills/spells. Just maybe faster imping/hps, different items, modded mobs, some type of end game currency for new items or w/e.

Lizzy Borden

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »

I kinda like the idea, thus we can pick schools and it's pretty much all on the driver, then we can truly see who the best driver is, plus I'd like a set of gold armor or black/gold or make your colors would be nice oh n I know Im not nearly the best driver but I know I m not the worst either ^^