Update 25 Patch Notes
Update 25 contains some of the biggest changes to Meridian 59’s codebase since the game’s open sourcing in 2012. The server’s “line of sight” code has been rewritten and the server now computes line of sight using the same BSP tree calculations done by the client. This means that all of the “LoS issues” bugging players for years have been fixed (fizzling spell casts, increased rate of missing). Much of the text handling done by the server has also been rewritten to allow for a client option to select display language. Currently translations are available in English and German, however the server/client can support more languages if translations become available. The game code language itself (Blakod) has had many more features added which will hopefully make programming for the game less frustrating. Lastly, during the rewriting process numerous performance improvements were made, which will allow Meridian 59 servers to support more players and more complex additions.
- Child windows (e.g. who dialog box, newsglobes, object descriptions) will now display on the same monitor as the parent Meridian 59 client instead of always displaying on the primary monitor.
- Added a new lore book item as a drop from any monster (0.2% drop chance). The lore books will contain multi-part stories about the game and its (NPC) inhabitants. One story has been added this update.
- Line of Sight code on the server has been completely rewritten. All LoS issues should now be fixed, and the server will disallow attacks and targeted spell casts where the player does not have LoS to the target.
- Several rooms have had graphical issues visible in 3rd person Ogre view fixed.
- Disciple robes now give 5 spellpower instead of 4 as the first level spellpower bonus to the same school (removing the unwanted scenario where an off-school robe was better for level 1).
- Significant improvements to server performance.
- The client has a new toolbar menu, Language, which allows users to switch between English and German for displaying in-game text. More languages can be added in the future if translations are made. Not all text has been translated into German (especially recent additions such as quest dialog).
- The quest NPC text responses and server newsglobe posting (i.e. Frular’s guild war book, Caramo’s Justicar book) currently display only in the language chosen by the server admin (English on 103, German on 112).
- Where translations are available, text commands (e.g. asking NPCs for reagents such as orc teeth or entroot berries) will work in both English and German.
- Switching in-game text language does not apply to strings handled by the client, such as menu names (this is controlled by the user’s OS language).
- Reflections and Evil Twins now attack at the correct distance with ranged weapons.
- Newsglobe reply posting will no longer append multiple reply strings (i.e. Re: Aw:) to the posts.
- Inventory no longer loses the scroll bar and part of the background when changing rooms or various other scenarios. However the scroll bar may still not always draw correctly.